Sunday, November 9, 2014

Banjoleles, Taylor Swift, and Iconic Works

Is the influence that the banjolele had on the popularity of the ukulele in 1920s Vaudeville interesting? Maybe, but it was not a thing that my dad needed to spend time explaining to me. Today, however, he explained something that does interest me. We were talking about Taylor Swift*.

My dad pointed out that 1989 is the first album that my sister and I have both bought. We both decided that having the CD now, instead of waiting for the other to share, was worth going out and exchanging money. (If you don’t agree that the packaging is worth owning, you clearly have not bought a copy. Yet.) This means that 1989 is the only music compilation in the past 10 years that (A) we both want to listen to and (B) neither of us can wait even a few days to borrow.

There are now exactly three things that we have ever felt this way about; Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and 1989. And so, if anybody asks me about life defining artists, they only need to hear about J.K. Rowling and T. Swift.  




*If you’re reading this in the far future, please remember that this is November 2014, everybody is talking about Taylor Swift; tumblr, news stations, even 55 year old men. It is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment